The old stations visited by the Mumbles train which was once used by thousands of passengers

The world’s first passenger railroad began with horse-drawn service.

Following an Act of Parliament in 1804, permission was granted to move limestone from the quarries of Mumbles to Swansea and to more distant markets, and three years later the first fare-paying passengers took place.

Horse power shifted to steam locomotion, and then eventually to electricity, and it turned out to be extremely popular – Dylan Thomas was a regular user and wrote about his journeys to the Mumbles.

Read more: The ordinary Welsh town that was once one of the most important places in Europe

But it closed in 1960, with growing popularity of motor cars and buses, which also sealed the fate of more than 2,000 stations across the UK four years later, under the Beeching Cuts, which sought to optimize the efficiency of the country’s rail network.

But here are a few examples of the stations where the Mumbles train stopped along Swansea Bay – and what they look like now.

Mumbles Pier

It is one of Mumbles’ top destinations for tourists, visitors and residents, but the iconic pier has changed significantly since the days it was visited by train.



Mumbles Pier as it is today



And how it looked like an electric train going away in 1932



The Mumbles Pier station sign

Southend

BSouthend doesn’t look much different from the days the train has passed.



Southend, pictured today, was another stop for the Mumbles train


The Mumbles train passes through Southend

Oystermouth

Nowadays, Mumbles Square is a parking lot, despite a number of development plans hinted at over the years, but it was once the destination for the eponymous rail service.



The site still enjoys the views for which Mumbles is famous


The Mumbles train arrives at Oystermouth station

Western cross

Halfway between town, the train stopped at West Cross, near where the popular West Cross Inn now stands.



West Cross was another stop en route to Mumbles


The marmons train at West Cross

black pill

The lido halfway between Swansea and Mumbles is a popular tourist attraction today, with a busy cafe, but the building was once a train station



The old Blackpill station building


Blackpill Lido has a playground and a paddling pool

Brynmill

A short distance from St Helens, Brynmill Station served passengers visiting Singleton or Brynmill Parks, or another part of Swansea Bay.



The Brynmill stop site has changed little in the past 70 years


Brynmill’s site, pictured here in the 1950s, looks a lot like it is today

Saint Helena

Situated next to St Helen’s rugby and cricket ground, the resort was ideal for sports enthusiasts



The view from the site of the old forecourt of St Helens station


The train passed the forecourt of St Helen’s station in December 1959, less than a month before it closed for good.

Bay view

The Bay View remains a popular pub and restaurant on Oystermouth Road, but at the height of the Mumbles train it was a major stopover for travelers, known as The Slip, who came in their thousands to enjoy the sand and the sea.



The view across the bay on Oystermouth Road



The Mumbles train passes the Bay View on a summer day in 1963



Hundreds of passengers at the Slip on a summer day in 1910.

Swansea victoria

At the other end of the bay to Mumbles was Swansea Victoria station. One of the victims of the Beeching ax, this was the site of what is now the LC



Impressive exterior view of Swansea LC



Old Swansea Victoria Station

Rutland Street

The service would end at Rutland Street, which was once located next to St Mary’s Church, but disappeared under part of the old St David’s Shopping Center when it was built in the early 1980s.





Trains would end at Rutland Street – pictured

For the latest WalesOnline newsletters, click here


Source link

Comments are closed.